Monday, October 3, 2011

peel out. I just love it when guys peel out.

Sorry about my recent lull in posting, I spent the weekend in North Carolina for a cross country meet. My past few days have been, at least in my mind, what high school is all about: hanging out, competing, relaxing. The perfect stereotypical high school summer's night is detailed in Lucas's flick, American Graffiti. Times have changed since the cruising culture of the late-'60s, but people have not very much. 

No, this weekend's race did not go as well as I had hoped. The trip was truly worth it though. Some of my teammates ran exceptionally well, but it was about more than that.  It was dinner as a team, a group of people that i have grow closer to than my family at times. Seriously, I once got offended and snapped when a firend suggested that I do not understand what it is like to have a tight knit team; that's how much I value these relationships. Then toeing the line with these gentlemen and essentially going into combat with them is an intimate experience, which is why my best friends from school are on this team. 

Post race, I enjoyed a past time that not many others would spectate: cross country. After concluding a cool-down workout, I proceeded to simply watch the later races of the day, showing support for my brothers in arms who are also going in to the same war within their races.

The rest of my day was spent either sitting with my feet dangling into a hotel pool or eating in downtown Raleigh with my parents.  Stating, "When in Rome..." I ordered the pulled pork, a traditional southern meal.

Sunday was filled with homework and movies, which seems to be a weekly thing. Today, spirit week changed the makeup of my school environment, and produced  more of the traditional happy feel than is usually reality in schools. Watching baseball with my dad closed out an uneventful evening, but hey, I could not have asked for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment