Monday, October 17, 2011

I was thinking how nothing lasts, and what a shame that is.

They cycle of life is a perplexing concept. At first, you are under the care of your parents, but of course in the end you act as a caretaker for them.  One thing that all people fear, is going backwards and becoming dependant as you were as a small child.  In The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the title character progresses through life in exactly that way.

As a runner, I fear going backwards as much as anybody.  To be able to go fast at one time and not as fast the next is a scary thought.  One thing people often say about the sport that they like is that it is a race against the clock and your own personal record. What they seldom consider, is what happens if you lose?

As a junior last year, I ran the Catholic Memorial Invitational course in an eye opening 16:27. This is a highly respectable time, especially considering the limited competition since we were mistakenly placed in the small school race that year.  I finish cross country well and had respectable seasons on the track as well. In the meantime, I worked into the best shape of my life this summer, only to have it all go to waste due to a leg injury. I spent quite a bit of time on the shelf, not able to participate in key workouts or push myself to full tilt.  The result is that this weekend I ran an equally as eye opening 17:23 on the same course.  That is the second slowwest I have ever run there, only faster than my first race on the course from my freshman year when I was 14 years old.  Last year's time drew attention for how impressive it is; this year's was alarming to a lot of people.  I am seeing a doctor to try and get it worked out, but for now I am less worried about moving forward as I am about preventing falling further back.

No comments:

Post a Comment