Tuesday, October 11, 2011

You have always been the caretaker.


I have been completely stumped in regards to this blog for the past few days.  In other words, I ran into a case of writer's block. Sure, I could have found a more appropriate film to demonstrate creative block than Stanley Kubrick's horror masterpiece The Shining, but hey, after all it is almost Halloween.

In the film, adapted from a Stephen King short story, Jack Torrance is hired as the winter caretaker at the Outlook Hotel, and spends the brisk Colorado winter alone with only his family while trying to write a new book.  Going in, he had no idea how much trouble this would lead to with his son acting strange, him losing his mind, and the hotel effectively using Jack to do its evil bidding. Insert line, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

My writer's block has been similar in some respects, but completely different in others. First of all, I am normal, unlike the future psych murderer Jaack, so you can get those notions out of your heads.  We are similar because we both tried.  The other day I spent like twenty minutes trying to think about how I could relate my weekend to a college movie like Animal House. That, needless to say, did not happen. And sure, there are more eloquent examples of this obstacle in the vast expanse of film, but what's wrong with The Shining?

No comments:

Post a Comment