Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself.

 
Perfect weather, and great company? Sounds like an excuse to cut class for a day, as as done in John Hughes's teen classic Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Fortunately, for my classmates and I as well as principles spared the quest for stray students, there was no need. My school, a catholic high school, holds one single fundraiser every year: Walk-a-thon.

Today, as you may have guessed, was this glorious day. Sure, the weeks leading up were just this side of miserable and the class presentations in the morning still seem like a waste of time to me, but when I graduate, walkathon day is one thing I will miss.

This year, during the walk itself  and the homeroom period  beforehand, I carried with me a camera.  Boy was I popular.  Kids love to strut their stuff, and decked out in school spirit attire they were up for the test.  When I say, "decked out" I absolutely mean it. Face paint, high socks, custom shirts, and fun jewelry were everywhere during our walk through the park.  I, the relatively apathetic one, wore a track tshirt with my school's initials printed on, furthering my reputation for lack of school spirit.

The day is designed to be a benefit for my school, but even that seemed insignificant since I will be graduated by the time the funds go to use. What we were able to focus on was friendships. I have been going to school with this group for four years, having met very few during my childhood.  Now, since our term in high school is approaching its end, is our last chance to really bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment