Thursday, September 22, 2011

You Listen to Me, Buster!


My day very narrowly resembled one of the most fun weekends in pop culture history: Joel Goodsen's parent-free extravaganza we know as Risky Business. No, I did not get chased by a hostile pimp, drive a porsche into the water, or lose any priceless decoration. I did listen to a little Seger in the car, but mostly I was on my own.

That is not a joke, hyperbole, or self-pity statement.  From the final bell at two o'clock until roughly seven-thirty, I was to tend to myself. This does not bother me as much as I find it odd. It is a school night. My dad's work must end sometime. My sister has homework to do. My mom said it might be just me few a little bit but there was no way she would know how late I might get home from school and I was still isolated for quite some time. 

So, what did I do with this newfound resource of free time. It's an alien concept to me so I opted to take full advantage.  In the film, Joel begins by simply sitting down to dinner before entertaining himself in peculiar ways (we won't discuss what happens when he finally pushes it too far). I first went and took some initiative into gaining the work experience necessary to making it in the world, asking about internship opportunities at the local paper. At home, I, by myself now, cleaned my car. I know, weird. Vacuuming, trash pick up, and tire pressure checks filled a substantial amount of that time. The rest was doing your basic lazy activities of eating from the fridge and watching old movies. I guess the highlight of my day was that it had no highlight, just like the conclusion of Risky Business inferring that nothing had changed over the course of a few radical days.

No comments:

Post a Comment