Monday, September 26, 2011

I'm in pretty deep doodoo here.

Yes, it is a little melodramatic to compare life to Aron Ralston's struggle in 127 Hours. Yes, I am going to do it anyway.

Stripping it down to its most basic elements, this is literally a film about being trapped. We follow Aron as he gets himself pinned "Between a Rock and a Hardplace." For the generation of us still having to deal with the limitations of life in high school this is a very real feeling. Of course the adults  will argue that working life is much worse despite greater income, independence, autonomy, and influence: "Poor Us."

A student 30 hours a week pinned down at school, dozens more on assignments, more on extracurriculars, not to mention real life obligations which are more often than not forced upon us by our elders.  I missed the better part of the Red Sox game and had to take my dinner on the run in order to keep pace with the rigorous lifestyle that my school and parents hold me to. Remember though, 127 Hours is also a film about adversity. 

I managed myself well enough to complete all of my duties in a relatively timely manner, and have the opportunity to whine about how tired I am now via the outlet of social media.  The world is beginning to favor youth, and we did not even have to cut our own arms off.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. If someone was to make a movie about a highschool kid's day it would be titled "105 hours." I know 105 isn't as impressive as 127, but probably just as painful.

    ReplyDelete